CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Letter WWII


Pvt. Fred J. Nesbitt
Ardennes, France
December 21, 1944

Dear Claire,

Hello my little sister! To begin with I am terribly sorry I haven’t written this has been the only time in the past week and a half that I have had time to sit down and write. Things have been very difficult. Rations here have been getting worse and worse each day. The clothes we were given are either too small or too large. The shirt I was given today was much too tight and has been cutting into my armpits the whole day. As for the food, it’s horrible. I’m beginning to yearn for a nice ripe apple. Day after day we’re given stale bread and cold coffee. Oh, Claire, I’m not sure I can take any more of this dreadful existence. We were attacked exactly five days ago by more German soldiers. No one in the platoon had seen this coming therefore, giving them the element of surprise. They entered the Ardennes at around 5:00am taking control of many of our troops by 8:00am. Their plan was to split the Allies in half and first they sought to attack us because they believed that the western side of Europe was weaker. During the first few days, it seemed as if the Germans were winning, due to our shock. Fortunately, a blistering snowstorm hit giving us time to strategize. It also helped that the German troops had begun to run out of oil. Though the snowstorm had a positive effect on the battle the living conditions in the trenches are becoming extremely hard to endure. The ground is slippery and no matter where you go or how you huddle you are always cold. I’ve never known such cold Claire. Not only is the weather chilly, but the faces of the soldiers, Germans, Americans, British, Japanese, their faces are the coldest of all. The only emotion you can see, in their pale blue faces is pain and anger. You can’t even begin to imagine their faces Claire, I doubt that anyone could unless have been in this appalling war. Going back to the weather, remember in my letters, during the summer, how I used to complain about being sandwiched between a dozen men at night? Well, now since it’s so terribly icy and bitter I couldn't’t be more grateful for a dozen bodies surrounding me keeping me warmer. Though sometimes, in the morning, there’s slush making trench foot a more and more regular problem by the day. As for the tents, when I get the privilege of sleeping in one, they can be much colder then the trenches. This is because the flaps are not pulled down consequently, letting in more frosty air. I haven’t seen this much blood in my entire 3 months of being here. It wouldn’t surprise me if this turned out to be one of the bloodiest battles the US has had in this God forsaken war. It sickens me thinking about how many lives have been lost. I’m no longer certain who represents the good side and who represents the bad side. We share more in common as all of us are young, hungry and desperate men who want to go home. I’m sorry you have to be the one to hear about all my horrible times, but I definitely could not go to Mum and Dad for fear of worrying them to death. I miss you terribly, little sister, and hope that all is well back home. I think of you all everyday and would give anything to be home again.


Your loving brother,
Fred



URL: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8e/Battle_of_the_Bulge.jpg

0 comments: